Back to the grind!
Whew, I thought we would have another snow day! Thank
goodness school was not cancelled though and we are back in the groove of
things.
So, I am still not sure why I am taking this class and if I
accidentally signed up for the wrong one. I am kind of bummed because we post
on Facebook to share different learning strategies and we will eventually use
it to share our tutoring experiences. Not having a Facebook makes me feel very
left out from the rest of the class, but my safety is more important to me than
feeling like I fit in. I am enjoying the homework assignments Dr. Garcia gives
us. It I not like other teachers were you fill in a worksheet or make a list of
important things to remember. We had to read a few chapters and to further our
learning Dr. Garcia had us fold a paper “hotdog style” and then cut two slits
in the top half of the paper. This left us with three sections, the first
section was “New Learnings”, the second section was “Connections I Made”, and
the third section was “Questions I Have”. I liked this little flip book for our
homework because it gave me different things to look for within the text and
become more engaged with it. But enough about the homework, on to today!
To be honest, today made me want to cry! We received the
name of our student that we will be tutoring. Why I wanted to cry is because my
tutoring partner was absent from class today. So I shifted through this
confusing client folder unsure of what I should glean from it. I really wish my
partner was here today because she knows about case studies and has experience with
students. Oh well, luckily Dr. Garcia came to my aid and helped me understand
the mountain of information I was looking at. I was able to take a few notes on
my student so I can construct my own case study on my student later on. Though
I am confused how to help the student I’ll be tutoring. I thought the focus of
the class was on reading, but my student needs help on writing? I need to get
my thoughts together and figure out a plan of action. And I need to find out if
it is okay that my partner and I do not focus on reading but focus on writing
instead. I sure hope this class will make sense to me one day. I really want to
feel confident about my decision to become a teacher. I just need to remember
that I can do this!
Comments
Post a Comment