Ut oh, our first day of tutoring. Yikes!

Today in class we watched a clip from Finding Nemo. At first I had no clue why we were watching a clip from that movie. Then once we watched it, it made since. In the clip it is Dori and Nemo’s dad out in the ocean searching for Nemo. Dori tries to speak whale and starts out quietly then gets louder and louder. We talked about how this relates to us as future teachers because we may think we need to just speak louder to a student so they understand us, but this is not the case. We need to make sure we change how we explain something so students can understand, not slow down our speech and speak louder. It is a matter of accommodating our students, not humiliating them. It was a good message and a creative way to for Dr. Garcia to present it to us.


Today was also our first day tutoring! Wow, was I a nervous wreck! Luckily, it went a lot better than I was expecting. Our student is really good at reading and is right on grade level. I am also glad that the IRI made more sense as we went through the testing with our student. I do have to admit though, it was still confusing to decide what errors our student made were what, like visual, syntax and so forth. It will hopefully all come together though. I am just glad we got the testing done and next week we will be able to start creating lesson plans structured around our student. 

Comments

Popular Posts