Alright, I am feeling a little better about tutoring! I emailed Dr. Garcia with a LONG list of ideas I have for my student I will be tutoring with my partner. And Dr. Garcia made me feel so much better! It is okay that we are not tutoring him in reading but writing instead. She said that her class and the tutoring center focus on reading and writing and creating activities based on the student’s need. Whew! That was a huge relief for me. Last week as I thought of potential activities to help my student, I felt so much better because the ideas just came flooding to me! Things are looking up, now if I can just figure out how crazy making a case study will be!

Today we prepared for our first tutoring session next week! Oh my goodness I am freaking out with excitement and of course part of me is terrified! I am very happy my tutoring partner is organized like me. My partner said she will handle the parent interview and create the welcome sign for our student. I am in charge of putting together our first minilesson. Class today was mostly prep work for our session, I am really glad Dr. Garcia gave us plenty of time to get our acts together.

Aside from just preparing we also did a fun activity called a “Progressive Cinquain”. I had never heard of a cinquain and found this activity to be really fun! We were given a format to follow and everyone at our table created their own cinquain and after we shared what we all put. Then as a group we created our own cinquain. This is what we ended up with…

Interactive Real Aloud
Cooperative, Enjoyable
Thought-provoking, Collaborating, Intriguing
Collaborative sessions of knowledge
Pow Wow

It was really fun to incorporate what each group member had on their individual cinquain and put in all into one that really captured the essence of an Interactive Read Aloud. What I really like is that this can be used in the classroom to get know the names of the students. And it can also be used for book characters that have been read in class too. I really enjoyed the cinquain, so much so that I am going to file it away for use in my own classroom. Since I do want to be a English teacher I feel a cinquain would be a great way to know students’ names or fun to write about authors or characters we study.


I am so glad class is normalizing for me! I cannot wait till my first tutoring session next week!

Comments

Popular Posts