Butting heads with my tutoring partner.
In class we have stopped reading our textbook and our now
reading The Book Whisperer by Donalyn
Miller and I am loving this book! What an amazing break from reading a textbook
and still be able to read something informative and that I can learn from!
Miller is such an inspiration and I am very tempted to read ahead in the book
rather than what Dr. Garcia has assigned. However, I am not going to do that
because I want to keep with the rest of the class. But it is so fun to hear her
stories and experiences, and ah, she makes me want to be a teacher now! I do
have to say that I really hope Dr. Garcia keeps this book to use in her future
LLLS classes, because I feel it is worth it.
About tutoring though. I am having a difficult time with my
tutoring partner. She is very blunt with her words and does not have a filter
and it is affecting our relationship as tutoring partners. Since she has
children it is difficult to call her and discuss lesson plans. And then she
lives far away from me, so meeting up to discuss is not feasible either. Our
other option has been email, and that has not been a breeze either. I cannot
get her to respond to my emails in a timely manner. And she
dismissed some of my ideas as boring, I really do not know how our relationship
is going to work out. It is only the second week of tutoring and she has
already made me feel terrible about myself and my ideas. This has been very stressful for me because we have not found common ground yet. For example, I had a sample lesson plan for our lesson today and she liked
none of it, which is fine. Then she sent me her idea and I okayed it. Next
thing I know, she wants to dress up like a drill sergeant or some military
person for her lesson. I expressed my concern about her idea because we barely
know our student and from what we do know I do not think he will like being
interrupted and especially would not care for being “yelled” at by a military
persona. Despite my hesitation, she emailed the teacher
to ask for permission to do her idea, and then she proceeded to email me to say she was going to do her idea because the teacher
approved of it. I was upset after receiving that email. I thought we were supposed to
be a team, and she acted like we are not. On the upside she did notice she came
off strongly and ended up not dressing up in military attire. Her resistance
and bluntness, unfortunately has put a wedge between us. I wish our partnership had more support and kindness. I definitely feel even more like I
am not supposed to be a teacher because apparently I cannot even come up with
effective lesson ideas. With perseverance and hard work I know we can set aside our differences and just do what is best for our student.
Comments
Post a Comment