Monster Day
During Spring Break I found the best lesson to do with Jarod
today! The lesson is centered on the book Go
Away, Big Green Monster! I found the idea on this blog http://4thgradefrolics. blogspot.com/2013/10/monster- fun-descriptive-writing.html
(also the 4th Grade Frolics blogger read The
Book Whisperer too, so more bonus points for her in my book). The 4th
Grade Frolics blogger and another teacher came up with their monster activities
for the students around Halloween time. I thought their idea was the cutest
ever and was definitely appropriate for Jarod. The first monster activity my
tutoring partner and I did with Jarod, was I read the book to him. And as I
read the book, Jarod had to draw the monster the author described. After Jarod
compared his drawing to the author’s and then we discussed what better details
the author could have used. Then Jarod, my tutoring partner, and I drew our own
monster and wrote a description. We all traded our descriptions with one another
and had to draw the monster described. It was funny to see how well all three
of us described our monster and what they looked like compared to the original
artist’s drawing. Jarod was laughing and enjoying himself in this activity. Our
next activity was monster themed again. Jarod and the tutors rolled a die to
see which monster body part we got to draw. After we had a complete monster,
Jarod was given the homework assignment to write about “his monster under his
bed”. What a great lesson, and I am so grateful for teachers who are willing to
share their ideas with others!
Seeing
how one teacher blogger was so eager and willing to share her ideas with others
made me want to be the same way when I am a teacher. I want to collaborate with
other teachers and find exciting ways to incorporate what we are teaching in an
interactive manner. I also want to share any good ideas I have with other teachers
too. I believe teaching is an individual matter but it is also about working
together with colleagues and supporting them. It is in the best interest of
other students to work well with other teachers. I do not want to see any other
teacher fail or flounder because I was selfish and did not share my success
ideas with him or her. Also, I want a strong network of teachers so if I ever
need assistance I have teachers I can go to and ask for help. I think this is
very important and a good quality to possess as a future teacher.
Comments
Post a Comment