The semester is getting closer to the end

Wow, you can really tell the end of the semester is creeping closer and closer. We have been given more time to work on our case studies in class, aside from our usual class activities. I am glad that today though Dr. Garcia had an unusual activity planned for us. Honestly though, I was not looking forward to this activity. We had a “This IS American Idol” activity to do. Yikes! Dr. Garcia gave us examples of songs that taught about different reading methods like questioning visualizing, and so forth. The class was divided into groups and we had to write a song that included what we have learned in class thus far. And we had to write our song to the tune of another song. My group wrote our song using the tune from “The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire”. It was a tough song choice on our part. But we persevered and had a great time trying to get our story across in our song. I think the part I dreaded most about this activity was getting up in front of the class and singing it. I cannot sing and do not like singing in front of other people. On the bright side, I survived! I do not know if I would use this activity ever in my own classroom though. I think I may try it out one day just to see. I would have students do it for an author we are studying or a character we have been focusing on. And there are probably other ways I could use this in an English classroom too. I think I am hesitant to use it in my future classroom because I was shy about this activity. And I think later in life I still may be shy about it and I do not want that to show. Because if it shows then students may wonder why I am having them do it when I am not all for it. I could be wrong though. This idea will be kept on my list, just in case. 

Comments

Popular Posts