Last Tutoring Day
What a sad day today! This was Jarod’s last tutoring
session with my partner and I. I am so proud of the progress he has made. Jarod
improved on his IRI, he went from a Level 5 to a Level 6. Aside from reading
improvement, he has improved greatly in writing! Before he struggled to write a
one page essay, now he can easily write a one page essay and include so much
detail too! My partner and I really focused on detail with Jarod throughout our
tutoring sessions, and I believe that’s what has made such a difference in his
writing. After we performed the IRI, Erica planned “Minute to Win It” activities
for Jarod and us to play. It was such a fun way to end our last session with
Jarod. I am sad to not be able to tutor Jarod anymore and hope his new tutors
can develop a great bond with him.
When we met with his mom for the last ten minutes of our tutoring session we were able to explain everything we have done with him. Towards the end of our discussion with his mom she was teary eyed. She was very happy we were able to help Jarod and said that he is a different boy. She said placing him in the tutoring program was a great decision and has made such a positive impact on him. Jarod’s mom said that Jarod can tell the tutors care about him and want to see him succeed. What an encouraging and touching thing to hear from his mom. And all the while Jarod nodded in agreement with his mom. Even though I am sad tutoring is over, I am also happy too. It definitely carried a lot of stressful moments with it and planning lessons with someone who did not always see eye-to-eye was a tad challenging. I am proud to say I did survive though. I learned so much. I was able to work with a partner who had different ideas than me, and make it work. And I was able to create a professional connection with Jarod. Also, I saw that my ideas for lessons are effective and found what was not effective too. The tutoring experience I gained in this class has definitely helped me develop skills I will need as future teacher.
When we met with his mom for the last ten minutes of our tutoring session we were able to explain everything we have done with him. Towards the end of our discussion with his mom she was teary eyed. She was very happy we were able to help Jarod and said that he is a different boy. She said placing him in the tutoring program was a great decision and has made such a positive impact on him. Jarod’s mom said that Jarod can tell the tutors care about him and want to see him succeed. What an encouraging and touching thing to hear from his mom. And all the while Jarod nodded in agreement with his mom. Even though I am sad tutoring is over, I am also happy too. It definitely carried a lot of stressful moments with it and planning lessons with someone who did not always see eye-to-eye was a tad challenging. I am proud to say I did survive though. I learned so much. I was able to work with a partner who had different ideas than me, and make it work. And I was able to create a professional connection with Jarod. Also, I saw that my ideas for lessons are effective and found what was not effective too. The tutoring experience I gained in this class has definitely helped me develop skills I will need as future teacher.
Comments
Post a Comment